Stereo Mix permits you to record the sound coming from your PC. It records the sound being played on the speaker, for example, live streaming voices, broadcasting radio, speaker outputs, or even internal system audios.
The stereo mix is an extremely obscure concept, but at the same time, it is extremely useful if you want to build the output sound to more than one thing.
Suppose one of them is an aux and one is a USB, and that’s not the only useful stereo mix.
In that case, it is actually useful to a lot of instances; for example, if you want to output sound both to a capture card into a USB headset, then you would also use the stereo mix for that.
7 Best Methods to Fix or Enable Stereo Mix in Windows 10
It has been seen that a lot of users are complaining about the disappearance of the stereo mix from their computers. There could be a lot of reasons behind this. Most probably, it happens right after updating Windows.
The other causes might include the inaccessible microphone or disabled stereo mix.
If you are also facing a similar problem, you need to empower the Stereo Mix on your PC by following the given methods.
Method 1: Enable Stereo Mix from Sounds
This method is for those users who already have Stereo Mix on their computer by default. It is convenient to enable it.
1. First of all, open the Run window by pressing Windows + R key together.
2. The run command is opened now.
3. Then type mmsys.cpl and press OK.
4. It will open the sound window.
5. Go to the Recording tab, All enabled or disable devices are mentioned there.
6. Now, Enable Stereo Mix by clicking right on it.
7. Now you will see a device is ready on the Stereo mix option which means it is now enabled on the PC.
8. Now click on the Apply option and then OK.
After completing all the above-mentioned steps, Stereo Mix would be successfully enabled on your computer.
Method 2: Making Microphone Available for Access
Stereo Mix can also disappear if your microphone is not accessible by your computer. The microphone must be available for stereo Mix.
Otherwise, it will automatically disable the stereo mix on the PC. It is the simplest method and saves a lot of time. It should definitely be tried before any other method.
1. Go to the Start menu. Then Open the Settings.
2. Now, look for the privacy section and click on it.
3. Under the privacy section, you’ll see App permissions.
4. Choose a Microphone from the elaborated list.
5. Make sure that the microphone access for the device is ON. In case if it is off, then click on the Change option to turn it on.
6. Then turn on the option to Allow apps to access your microphone also. You can switch the options to turn on the accessibility of the apps to the devices.
7. Now restart your PC and check if your Stereo Mix is restored or not.
Method 3: Download and Install Stereo Mix Window 10 Driver
This method is for those users who do not have Stereo Mix drivers on their PC. They must download and install the driver first. To do so, follow the given instructions carefully.
1. Go to the Windows icon.
2. Click-right on it. Then go to Settings.
3. Then click on the Systems.
4. Now click on the About
5. Then check the device specifications on your PC, under device specifications, you will see System Type; you need to check whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit.
6. Now download the codec from the Realtek website
7. Download the relevant driver according to your system type.
8. Accept the terms & conditions and enter your email address, & click on the Download this file.
9. Then save it to your desired download location or folder.
10. After downloading go to that folder and double click on it to start the installation.
11. Now install it by clicking on the Next button.
12. After installation is completed, click on the finish button.
13. Now open the Run window by pressing Windows + R together.
14. Type “mmsys.cpl” and enter it. It will open the sound utility.
15. When the sound utility will open, go to the Recording tab, all enabled or disable devices are mentioned there.
16. Now click right on the Stereo Mix option and then select the Enable option. It will result in a green tick mark on the Stereo Mix option, which means that Stereo Mix has been enabled successfully on your computer.
17. To save the changes, press Apply and then OK.
18. Now you will be able to see your Stereo Mix in Windows 10.
Method 4: Update your Audio Driver
Updating the driver usually helps in fixing a certain issue. It is a simple method that can do wonders, and at the same time, it saves a lot of time.
To Update the Audio driver, follow the given steps.
1. Go to the Start icon and click on it. Now search Device Manager and click on it.
2. Now click on the Sound, video, and game controller’s option. Then click right on the headphones and choose Update driver from the expanded list.
3. A confirmation window will pop up. Select the option, Select automatically for updated driver software. Then wait for some time to let it work.
4. Now, see if you have got your headphones under the playback devices in sound settings.
Method 5: Uncheck the Option Listen to This Device
1. Go to Sound settings, then go to Recording Tab.
2. Right-Click on Microphone and select Properties.
3. Then click on Listen tab, then uncheck Listen To This Device.
4. Click on Apply and select OK to confirm.
Method 6: Change Speakers/Headphone Volume Settings
Sometimes your stereo device is not working because your speaker or headphone is muted, follow the steps to Unmute it.
1. Open sound settings, go to the Playback tab.
2. Right-Click on your playback device, speakers, or headphone, go to properties.
3. Then click on the Levels tab.
4. Now click on OK.
Method 7: Turn Stereo Mix on Conextant HD Audio
If you are using a Conextuant Audio Device on your computer, we have a special fix or solution to enable stereo mix for this audio device, just follow it.
There are 4 steps to complete this fix, follow by the end of this process.
Step 1: Find the Specific File
1. For this fix, you need to have PSPAD installed on your computer, if you don’t have then install it from the following steps.
2. Download the PSPad on your computer.
3. Then click on “PSPad portable version” to download.
4. Save it to your desired location.
5. Then unzip the downloaded file by using any tool like WinRAR.
6. Open the unzipped folder, there is a file named “PSPad.exe” double click on it to run.
7. Once it’s opened, go to search on the navigation menu, click on “Search & Replace”
8. Paste the below line in the “Text to find:” box.
9. Then click on the radio button beside “Selected Directory”
10. Click on OK
Step 2: Modify Permission Of The File
1. Press Windows Key + E on your keyboard.
2. Go to this location from the address bar, and type the following.
Note: You may don’t have the same file on your computer, you can find the file in the directory.
3. Then right-click on the “CALCC2WA.inf_amd64_07118bd8a2180658” file then go to “Properties”
4. You have a new window pop up, go to the “Security” tab.
5. Then click on “Advanced”
6. Once you have a new window appeared of Advanced Security settings, click on the “Change” option which is right in front of ‘Owner’.
7. Then you have a new window, click on “Add”
8. Now click on “Select a principal”
9. Click on the “Advanced…”
10. Then a new window appeared, click on the “Find Now” button.
11. Choose your account name from the list.
12. Now click on “OK”
13. Checkmark on the “Full control” option.
14. Now click on “OK” to save it.
Once you have permission for modification of the file, follow the below steps to modify “CALCC2WA.inf_amd64_07118bd8a2180658”.
Step 3: Now Modify the File
1. Now, right-click on this “CALCC2WA.inf_amd64_07118bd8a2180658” file and go to “Open with”
2. Then choose “Notepad”
3. Once the file is opened on the notepad, now press the “Ctrl+F” keys altogether.
4. Then find the “Stereo” by typing in the box and click on “Find Next”.
5. Now you will see there are 3 lines in the file contains the word “Stereo”.
6. Now remove the “;” from these files
7. Then click on “File” in the navigation menu bar and click on “Save”.
8. Now close the notepad screen.
Step 4: Uninstall & Reinstall the Conexant Audio Driver
1. Now we only have to uninstall & reinstall the audio driver from your computer.
2. Press keys “Windows + R” altogether.
3. Write “devmgmt.msc” and click “OK”
4. You have to expand the “Sound, video and game controllers” section.
5. Now you have a list of adapters, right-click on the audio device driver and click on “Uninstall Device”
6. New pop-up window will appear, click on “Uninstall” to confirm the installation of the driver.
7. Now restart the computer.
8. Your default Conexant Audio Driver will be enabled.
If your driver is not enabled there then you will follow the below steps:
a. Go to the start menu and type “Device Manager” in the search box.
b. Open the “Device Manager”
c. Now click on “Scan For Hardware Changes”.
Now you have new drivers installed and loaded by this method.
Conexant Audio Device is now working on your system Try to use Stereo Mix again and it is working.
You can also watch below video to fix no stereo in windows 10.